About Higg Co
Higg Co is a technology company that delivers, implements, and supports the Higg Index for consumer goods industries. Developed by the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, the Higg Index is a suite of tools that enables brands, retailers, and facilities of all sizes — at every stage in their sustainability journey — to accurately measure and score a company or product’s sustainability performance. The Higg Index delivers a holistic overview that empowers businesses to make meaningful improvements that protect the well-being of factory workers, local communities, and the environment.
Higg Co is seeking a Controller who will be responsible for building the finance operations and department of the newly launched company. Responsibilities will include planning, budgeting, and directing the finance and accounting functions of the Company as well as overseeing the, payroll, tax, and facilities functions. The Controller will report to the COO and will work directly with other department leaders at Higg Co.
- Build and lead a small finance team
- Coordinate budgeting and forecasting activities, including operations alignment between all functional departments
- Monitor business performance and cash flow/projections
- Lead and oversee all general accounting functions, including the monthly general ledger, consolidated level financial close processes and management reporting including but not limited to:
- verifying payroll
- monthly reconciliations
- reviewing billing
- preparing and posting journal entries
- maintaining balance sheet
- tracking cash and credit payments
- rectifying banking information
- managing ecommerce fund accounting via merchant services account
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of accounting records and financial systems
- Manage the Company’s equity programs, capitalization table, options ledger and maintenance of stock/option related matters. Oversee equity accounting and third-party equity administration.
- Oversee and coordinate the information requirements and analysis needed to support annual external audit.
- Manage monthly close process, ensuring timely and accurate completion of all tasks, with attention to reporting and operating expense accruals
- Ensure timely financial and management reporting to external stakeholders
- Responsible for the Company’s federal, state and local tax compliance
- Maintain formal accounting policies, practices, and procedures to ensure US and local GAAP compliance
- Implement continuous improvement opportunities in all areas of responsibility
- Support ad hoc projects in financial analysis in costing, pricing, resourcing, and planning
Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
- Bachelor’ degree (BS/BA) in Accounting; CPA or equivalent required
- 10+ years of progressive accounting-related experience preferably in the software industry
- Strong people management and interpersonal skills;
- Start-up, small company experience
- Experience creating SOPs for operations or financial management, including a track record of creating lasting efficiencies;
- Experience in financial management including contracting, budgeting, cost allocations, and reporting using various tools and systems;
- Solid understanding of GAAP accounting, including revenue recognition and audit requirements;
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Advanced Excel skills required;
- Experience with QuickBooks or similar software required;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple priorities;
- Ability to work independently with staff at all levels across the organization;
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy;
- Demonstrated professional or personal interest in social and labor issues and/or environmental sustainability a plus;
- Solid computer and business software skills in most major platforms: Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks and Google Apps are required; Dropbox, Salesforce.com and WordPress experience are preferred.
Higg Co offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, including a competitive benefits package which includes health (medical, dental, vision), paid time off, flexible spending benefits and a retirement matching plan.
Higg Co has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please complete this self-assessment and submit an updated resume.
Please refrain from contacting Higg Co directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at HiggCo@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.